Nonlinear PDEs II
Mondays and Thursdays 10-12, SR 1.008
Prof.dr. J. J. L. Velázquez
Wednesday 14-16, room N 0.007
- L. C. Evans. Partial Differential Equations. Graduate Studies in Mathematics vol. 19, American Mathematical Society, 1991.
- D. Henry. Geometric theory of seminlinear parabolic equations. Lecture Notes in Mathematics vol. 840, Springer-Verlag, 1981.
- J. Smoller. Shock Waves and Reaction-Diffusion Equations. Grundlehren der mathematischen Wissenschaften vol. 258, Springer-Verlag, 1982.
- G. B. Whitham. Linear and Nonlinear Waves. John Wiley & Sons, 1974.
There will be an oral examination at the end of the course. To sit the exam, students have to gain at least 50% of the overall marks of the problem sheets as requirement for passing the classes.
The first opportunity to sit the exam has passed. The second opportunity will be on September 19th and 20th.
- Sheet 1, due 24.04.2013
- Sheet 2, due 02.05.2013 in lecture
- Sheet 3, due 08.05.2013
- Sheet 4, due 15.05.2013
- Sheet 5, due 27.05.2013 in lecture
- Sheet 6, due 05.06.2013
- Sheet 7, due 19.06.2013
Alternate solution to Problem 2
- Sheet 8, due 26.06.2013
NOTE: Ex. 3, part 3 contains a mistake: the initial condition for v should be 2 for x>0 (and 0 for x<0). For this reason, solving (2) and part 4 of the exercise are optional.
- Sheet 9, due 03.07.2013
construction of a solution from elementary waves
- Sheet 10, optional, please hand in for correction 10.07.2013